RECIPE: Red Wine, Balsamic and Rosemary Glazed Lamb Shanks
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 8 eschallots, peeled
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 long sprigs rosemary
- olive oil mash and broccolini to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place a heavy based casserole over a moderately high heat. Rub some olive oil over the lamb and season with salt and pepper. Sear for 8 minutes or until browned all over. Remove the shanks and set aside.
2. Place the shallots in the pan and cook for 4 minutes or until coloured. Add the wine, stock, vinegar and rosemary along with the lamb. Bring up to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 2 hours or until very tender. Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes. Turn them over once or twice if they are colouring too much.
3. Use a spoon to skim off any fat that has risen to the surface and reduce the sauce over a high heat if necessary. Serve with olive oil mash and steamed brocollini.
Try shredding the lamb and warming it through with leftover sauce. Stir through hot pasta and top with grated Pecorino cheese and chopped parsley.
1. The lamb shanks can be cook the day before and gently heated to serve.
2. You can substitute the mashed potato with some soft polenta.