RECIPE: Beef & Pumpkin Curry
This quick and easy beef curry recipe is cooked in the wok, all up, it takes only 20 minutes to make. Yes, it’s more like a beef curry stir-fry than a beef stew, but you’ll be amazed at how good it tastes!
- 500 g beef rump, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1-2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ½ cup beef stock
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 400 g butternut pumpkin, peeled, cut into small cubes
- ½ cup small fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 tbsp Thai fried shallots (optional)
1. Add half the oil to the beef and mix well. Heat the wok, ensure it is hot. Stir-fry the beef in three batches, and set it aside. Reheat wok between each batch.
2. Reheat the wok, add remaining oil, add the curry paste, stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the cream, stock, sugar and pumpkin. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
3. Return the beef to the wok and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil. Sprinkle with basil leaves and fried shallots to serve. Accompany with rice.
Best beef cuts for this recipe are rump, rib eye/scotch fillet/tenderloin, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, boneless blade, round, oyster blade or topside steaks.
Recipe from our friends at www.beefandlamb.com.au