RECIPE: Pappardelle with Mediterranean Lamb
While not strictly Italian, this luscious recipe highlights the flavours of the Mediterranean so well we couldn’t leave it out. The rich sauce and chunks of tender meat coat the pappardelle beautifully
- 800 g lamb forequarter chops
- 400 g fresh Pappardelle
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp basil, chopped
- 100 g Kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 50 g small mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp smokey paprika
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 700 ml beef stock
- 100 g Parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper
1. Season the chops with salt and pepper and brown both sides in a hot casserole dish with olive oil. Remove and set aside.
2. Using the same dish, add the onion, carrot and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring. Add the browned lamb, olives, paprika, sugar, mushrooms, tomato and stock. Check seasoning, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
3. Cook the Pappardelle as per packet instructions. Serve with the stew and fresh basil.
- Lamb forequarter chops could be replaced with a lamb leg.