RECIPE: Gourmet Sausage Sandwich with Mushrooms and Onion Jam
- 3 thick beef sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 200 g mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pieces of Turkish bread, halved horizontally and toasted
- rocket leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
1. Preheat the barbecue, grill or pan and either barbecue, grill or pan-fry the sausages over a moderate heat until browned and cooked.
2. While the sausages are cooking heat the oil in a frypan and add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook over a moderately-high heat until mushrooms are golden.
3. To serve slice the sausages half lengthways. Place the bottom slices of toasted Turkish bread onto 2 plates. Top with some rocket leaves, three halves of sausage, and the mushrooms. Finish with a spoonful of onion jam and the top slice of toasted bread.
To make onion jam: Heat a small frypan and add the oil. Stir in the onion and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sweet chilli sauce, white wine vinegar and the water. Cook over a low heat for another 15 minutes, stirring often.